Ducan

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Ducan

Postby carlowchris on 31 May 2017 21:56

My ducan seems to be having a baby straight out of the middle of its own mouth...this will become free floating at some point....

Question is is there anyway of stopping this suddenly going down the back of rocks???never to be seen again

And

Once its fully emerged will it take onto a peice of putty onto a new peice of rock???

Any help would be great??? But don't think I have very long ..only spotted it a couple of hours ago and it seems to be very close to becoming free.
carlowchris
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ducan

Postby carlowchris on 01 Jun 2017 00:16

Arghhhhh stupid thing dropped down behind the rocks before I could get it

But after abit of hunting found what looks like 3 ZOA heads??? Hard to tell exactly cause there all closed up....but is it possible the ZOA heads tryd to find a new home and landed on top of the Duncan and the Duncan tryd to eat them???and then spat them back out again...and that's what I was seeing earlier on???
carlowchris
Juvenile
Juvenile

Re: Ducan

Postby Halostemanic on 01 Jun 2017 06:59

Hi, I have two large Duncan colonies and have never seen a new head sprout from the mouth. I've only ever seen them come from the fleshy side of the stem. Eventually new heads will put down their own calciferous stem and form an entirely new head. That's how they spread. It is likely that a few Zoa heads got detached and the Duncan head caught them as food.
Halostemanic
Juvenile
Juvenile

Return to Hard Corals