IS my tank Ready for fish

Special section for beginners to post.

IS my tank Ready for fish

Postby xgtdec on 08 May 2019 17:08

Hi There

First post, first tank, 4 weeks experience in having an aquarium...im trying to go fish less until i know its right to add them and i just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on if that time was now or should i wait.

The tank is 180L, it has amazonia soil with dragon stone and azelea root. I have i think 15 plants in there which are alive and show smalls signs of growth. It has bio c02 and i supplement with liquid c02 and fertiliser daily. The lights are on for 8 hours and i have a small surface skimmer. 4 weeks later it looks like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/N ... FkDKnW7YOC

and my API master tests look like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/o ... XLPIyUiu57

From my reading that's
PH 6.4
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5

I use fluval cycle and water conditioner on every water change. Do i need to get that ammonia down to zero with higher nitrate or will some fish (i was hoping oto cats and some shirmp) survive those parameters.

Any advice accepted!!
Last edited by xgtdec on 09 May 2019 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
xgtdec
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: IS my tank Ready for fish

Postby KenS on 09 May 2019 09:52

Hi,

What have you been using to cycle your tank? You need an ammonia source to kick off the nitrogen cycle.

What type of test kit are you using? There shouldn't be any ammonia registering if there are no fish our other source of ammonia? Some tests are not that accurate, especially the strip based ones.

You could add a couple of small fish and continue testing with water changes. I would avoid shrimp for the moment as they require a mature tank.
Regards,

Ken
KenS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby xgtdec on 09 May 2019 12:50

Hi Ken

Thanks for coming back to me.

I was under the impression rightly or wrongly(i dont actually know) that the amazonia soil would provide all the ammonia needed to complete the cycle, apart from that the filter has had the fluval cycle added every water change.

I was thinking that if i can see some new and healthy plant growth then the tank had settled down.

All my testing is with the API master kit, Apparently (and im just quoting online reading here) if my ammonia is 0.25 -0.5 and my PH is low then the ammonia registered by the test is a more harmless ammonium rather than the toxic ammonia....again ive just read that and have no basis of proof.

My intention was to get the local aqua store to test the water for me and advise....maybe 4-6 siamese algae eaters to get going and see how it pans out with the bio load they create?
xgtdec
Fry
Fry

Postby KenS on 09 May 2019 21:14

Unfortunately you won't get an ammonia source from soil.

I'd go with 2 fish to start with and get the tank cycling. Keep an eye on the levels and once things start to settle you can add more fish.
Regards,

Ken
KenS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Beginners