Complete newbie! And can't figure out what tank????

Special section for beginners to post.

Complete newbie! And can't figure out what tank????

Postby Nok2018 on 29 Dec 2018 22:48

Hi all.
Just looking for some.advice. as per above complete newbie. I have always wanted an aquarium and now that daughter loves fish I have an excuse to get one. Only thing was that herself wants me to get something stylish.
I ordered a biorb halo 60l but cancelled it after hearing negative comments from other websites.
So wondering are the biorbs as bad as people say and what other tanks out there I should be looking at.
Budget is about 200 to 300 and want a tropical tank. Open to any suggestions. thanks
Nok2018
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Complete newbie! And can't figure out what tank????

Postby KenS on 31 Dec 2018 11:54

The advice would be to get the biggest tank that you can afford. Cancelling the Biorb was the right decision as you're very limited with a tank that small. Donedeal or Adverts may be the place to look and try and pick something up secondhand.

The larger the tank is, the easier it is to keep. Smaller tanks are more inclined towards fluctuations in water chemistry. Therefore, the more water, the better.

Do a Google search and read up on the NItrogen cycle and how to cycle a new tank. It will save you a lot of problems later on. Also start thinking about the type of fish you want to keep ensuring that they don't out grow your tank.
Regards,

Ken
KenS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Nok2018 on 01 Jan 2019 21:57

Thanks Ken.
Nok2018
Fry
Fry

Postby Anthony on 16 Jan 2019 19:50

Have a look in the article sections.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=321
Anthony
LFKS Chairman
LFKS Chairman

Postby jackiecarroll101 on 06 Feb 2019 20:24

I agree - i started with a small tank and always had problems. I then upgraded twice from 100l to a 400 to now 850l. I love fish and fish tanks - they are so calming.
jackiecarroll101
Fry
Fry

Postby JohnMcdan on 19 Feb 2019 05:14

KenS wrote:The advice would be to get the biggest tank that you can afford. Cancelling the Biorb was the right decision as you're very limited with a tank that small. Donedeal or Adverts may be the place to look and try and pick something up secondhand.

The larger the tank is, the easier it is to keep. Smaller tanks are more inclined towards fluctuations in water chemistry. Therefore, the more water, the better.

Do a Google search and read up on the NItrogen cycle and how to cycle a new tank. It will save you a lot of problems later on. Also start thinking about the type of fish you want to keep ensuring that they don't out grow your tank.

These are great tips. Thanks!
Blogging in my free time @ Toodrie.com | CleverMicro.com | CaMenGo | Felicity
JohnMcdan
Fry
Fry

Return to Beginners