Lido 120 reef in the process

Special section for newcomers to the world of Marine. There are no stupid questions.

Lido 120 reef in the process

Postby phea2 on 05 Dec 2013 23:48

Hi, I've had my River-reef 94L running for 9 months now, i would love to say that it is running with no major issues but that going to be a big lie.. From zoas not opening to LPS not surviving. It's time for an upgrade, the lido 120 is going to be sumped and have a separate refugium. I've been doing some planning, loads of research for about a month and here is what its going to look like:

Tank with sump and refugium

Sump

Refugium

Equipment
Light: Maxpect razor r450r 120w
Powerhead: Vortech MP10w
Skimmer: bubble magus 6.5
Return pump: eheim 2000 compact+
Reactor: FMR75 Fluidised Reactor
Sand: Coral Reef live sand (would 10kg be too much?)
Corals: Dry aquarium reef rock 15kg
Refugium light: not sure yet

I went to the hardware shop today to get the plumbing needed to connect the tank to the sump, i got everything i needed except for the bulkhead. I'll try e-baay.

Now comes question time:
1,Should i make two 32mm pipes to drain water to the sump or would one do? i was thinking of used the second pipe in case the first one get blocked with algae or invertebrates.
2,how deep should the deep bed sand be?
phea2
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Lido 120 reef in the process

Postby phea2 on 14 Dec 2013 13:04

Did some DIY today and i'm not sure if i did a good job or not. I found a little crack, do you guys think its going to be ok or is there a way to reinforce the glass?

On a good note, i've got 7kg of reef rock, i planned on using 15kg but 7kg seems to fill up the scape nicely plus the rock is really light in weight, i might try to fit another 2kg. I cant find one scape that i like.

I dont really like this one, its a U shape facing the wrong way, i'm not really fan of the U scape aquascape.

ImageImage
The otherhalf likes this one the most.

ImageImage
This is my favorite, well... its what i originally had in mind since i bought the tank. if i add the 2 extra kg i'm going to make the front hill a bit higher but dont want to make it too high because i'll have some sps on it.

The 3 scapes are only 3/4 the high of the tank because i want to leave space for sps to grow. Most of you might ask why i'm using reef rock. It's because i've seen a lot of people using them on the american and uk forums. Its 100% pest free. Tho i'll add some good hitchhikers at the beginning.

I'm still waiting for my bulkheads to arrive from the post, they were due to arrive on thursday. I'm going to order my pump (eheim 2000 compact+) and glass panels for my sump, refugium and weir box during the week. Any recommendation on where to get the glass panels in Dublin?
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby JamieZhu on 14 Dec 2013 22:35

nice rock work
JamieZhu
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby phea2 on 17 Dec 2013 19:01

Thanks jamie, which of the 3 do you like the most?

I finally received the bulkheads yesterday, but was a bit disappointed. I drilled the tank with a 45mm to accommodate a 32mm bulkhead. I was expecting my 32mm pipe to fit in the 32bulkhead but with the one i got the bulkhead fits in the pipe. Does that make sense? i'll let the picture speak for itself.

It fits but i wish i drilled a 32mm hole in the glass instead of 45mm.

The inside is left like this for now but i'm going to make the pipe shorter. I was testing for noise level.

After few minutes i noticed a leak. its not a lot of water, just a drop every 10 to 15 minutes.
should i silicone the outside of the bulkhead to the tank or just get a bigger bulkhead hoping it will fix the problem?
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby zonker on 17 Dec 2013 19:18

phea2 wrote:should i silicone the outside of the bulkhead to the tank or just get a bigger bulkhead hoping it will fix the problem?

I'd get larger bulkheads. If you plug this leak with silicone sealant, the seal will eventually break and you'll end up with leaks in future. When this happens, you'll need to do another repair job and these will become messier and messier to do right because it's impossible to get rid of old silicone. Properly fitting bulkheads should seal the hole completely so if you run into leakage problems, you can fix them by screwing things tighter.

-z
zonker
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby mrgk on 17 Dec 2013 19:46

are cooking the dead LR yet?
This is a drug and im getting addicted little by little.

mrgk
Adult
Adult

Postby phea2 on 17 Dec 2013 20:06

No... not yet, i was thinking of gluing the rock-scape first, then block the tank from any lights, put the rock inside and do a weekly 100% water change for 4 to 6 weeks. I've never cooked rock before and not really sure how to do it properly. The tank is going to stay in the hot press(its really dark in there and not hot).

I read somewhere that some people would put the rock in the tank and start the cycle. The phosphate wouldn't interfere with the cycling process. what's your thought about that? As i mentioned before, i wont be rushing anything in this tank.
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby mrgk on 17 Dec 2013 20:23

i was told if you put it in ro and change the water every day after 2 weeks, you should be good to go!
This is a drug and im getting addicted little by little.

mrgk
Adult
Adult

Postby phea2 on 17 Dec 2013 21:13

would tap water not do the job? Because i dont have RO unit and a daily water change wouldnt be a painful option for my back and my pocket, plus having to get the otherhalf to drive me to the LFS.
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby SullyD on 17 Dec 2013 21:22

tap water will soak into the rock and release phosphates back into the water over time mate
SullyD
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby phea2 on 17 Dec 2013 21:36

I guess I'll just have to start the cooking process now then aqua scape when it's phosphate free. Soaking it now will mean I'll only need 2 gallon of water daily unless I change the water every other day.

For the cooking process, do i just put the water in a container with a pump and thats it? or would i also need to add a heater?
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby SullyD on 17 Dec 2013 22:16

I would personally add a heater but others have done it without and it worked out fine

looking forward to seeing this develop :D
SullyD
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby phea2 on 17 Dec 2013 22:27

I'll sort this out today and get some more water on Thursday and a bigger bulkhead. What glue would be best to glue the corals together for when scaping? i need something that would be very strong.
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby SullyD on 17 Dec 2013 22:33

Essox gave me the name of what he used for his scape recently, cant remember what it was though!! :oops: He said it was unreal how strong it was!! Id say give him a PM and he'l let ya know bud
SullyD
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby phea2 on 17 Dec 2013 22:50

Thanks.

No sooner said than done. Using salt water tho, thats all i had sitting around.
phea2
Adult
Adult

Next

Return to Beginners