poly fiter and micro plant ferts

Planted tanks, fertiliser and lighting.

poly fiter and micro plant ferts

Postby darwin on 20 Aug 2016 22:48

Refering to subject above would poly filter absorb dosed micro nutrients and macro nutrients the by product from fish waste,cheers...
darwin
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: poly fiter and micro plant ferts

Postby darwin on 26 Aug 2016 22:29

Just bumping this post after no replies here I googled it as a last resort and got conflicting replies as you get when you google,just don't want to dose micro ferts for plants if its just going down the toilet .....
darwin
Adult
Adult

Postby KenS on 27 Aug 2016 20:25

Not sure to be honest. I know it absorbs nitrate and heavy metals etc. I'd say it would be safer not to use it with fertiliser. Why do you need to use polyfilter?
Regards,

Ken
KenS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby darwin on 27 Aug 2016 21:06

Hi Ken I,m using the polyfilter because of fine particles in the aquarium water which filter floss doesn't seem to be able to get ahead of.Also having an adult shoal of Denison barbs which can shift pretty fast disturb the substrate and being sand dirt will sit on the top rather than settleing in on a gravel base.
My sister comes home from the states once a year and brings paks of polyfilter over with her that she gets on the internet at less than half price what it costs here.
Another thing I noticed is I,ve been running a JBL e1501 for a good while now and way back the rubber seal that sits on the top basket that the motorhead sits on that was starting to get distorted.Wasnt looking forward to having water leak problems so cruised the JBL website and saw that they had came up with a modified part doing away with the loose seal because its now incorporated to the underside of the moterhead.Odd thing though this newer modified seal is not made of a soft gasket rubber,its since using this that the fine particle issue ramped up.I was thinking maybe it wasn't sealing properly so instead of the tank water running down the side to the bottom of the filter and then up through the centre to exit the filter that maybe not all of the water was going the proper route to get filtered but some was bypassing this system and so getting in through the modified seal at the top of the filter.hope this makes sense https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=areas&func=news&id=365
darwin
Adult
Adult

Postby KenS on 27 Aug 2016 21:17

First time I've heard of using polyfilter to remove fine particles. Normally it's used to remove biological matter and any toxins that may be present.

Have you tried using an internal filter with filter floss in it? It's easier for maintenance than an external when it comes to changing the floss.

The other option for water clarity is a UVC. They do a great job in terms of water clarity and would be cheaper than using polyfilter.

I have a JBL 1500. Can't say I've come across the seal issue. However, I keep Africans so particles in the water is par for the course.
Regards,

Ken
KenS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby darwin on 27 Aug 2016 21:39

Hi Ken I have the polyfilter attached to the spaybar length ways so the exiting water from the spraybar is aimed at the polyfilter and itraping fine particles of organic waste from fish waste too and toxins as you say.I have a spare jbl crystal profi e401 which I think would do just fine filled with filter wool,must give it ago,cheers.
darwin
Adult
Adult

Return to Plant Discussion