where does everyone get their plants?

Planted tanks, fertiliser and lighting.

where does everyone get their plants?

Postby lewis john on 06 Sep 2014 10:38

Was wondering where everyone gets their plants from,web sites,pet stores etc.
Ordering online seems alot cheaper but has anyone ordered from any plant distributors online? If so which sites..
Lewis
If it no longer swims,its for the bins!
lewis john
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: where does everyone get their plants?

Postby igmillichip on 06 Sep 2014 11:46

I buy my plants from aquatic shops (not online) for a few simple reasons.

1. many now stock a great array of plants;
2. I can see what I get
3. Buying from a LFS helps keep that shop in business (obviously different if the shops never stock an item)
4. I like to see shops give an opportunity to employ local people; and
5. It is often cheaper...yes...cheaper.

Now, if there were a plant that I really wanted and no local shops ever stocked it then maybe that would be the only reason for buying on-line (or via mail order as I would have done in the 70s in such cases)

ian
igmillichip
Adult
Adult

Postby lewis john on 06 Sep 2014 12:44

Yeah I must admit many lfs do now supply a great array of plants but I would like to know what the quality of mail ordered plants are like
If it no longer swims,its for the bins!
lewis john
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby anthonyd on 07 Sep 2014 09:20

I m not sure it is much cheaper to buy plants online unless you order a big quantity to cover the cost of the shippping.
There are a few shops in Dublin who sells great quality plants fom well known brands like tropica and dennerle.
Dont expect online shops to have a better quality plants than the good lfs, the plants come from the same nurseries.
Saying that i bought 95 % of my plants online as i would never buy them in a lfs in Cork and if you saw the plants you would understand why.
If you really want to buy online look at aquaessentials.co.uk, they have a great selection and if you have any questions they will answer them by phone or email.If the plant you want is available in the invitro version go for it you get much better value for the money, even if they look small and you are 100% sure they will be no pesticides and snails on them.

Anthony
anthonyd
Fry
Fry

Return to Plant Discussion