Plants not rooting

Planted tanks, fertiliser and lighting.

Plants not rooting

Postby Meathman on 19 Aug 2012 02:27

Hi all, my first post!

I've my tank set up about 6 months now and decided to go for live plants about 1 and a half months ago, I got swordtails at first, an chose not to use plant nutrients, the plants never rooted, and also grew brown sprigley things on them, so I bought nutrients in seahorse aquariums and have been using everyday for 2 weeks, and literally no difference to plant or roots, I have been pulling off the brown crap by hand to make them look better but maybe I should just throw them out and start again?

Tank setup;

180ltr

Fine-ish cream coloured gravel about 1+half inches deep

Pleco
10 neons
3 gourami
2 angels
Red tail shark
3 amano shrimp
Clam
3 glass catfish
7 small fish can't remember name
1 Loach

Cheers
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Meathman
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Plants not rooting

Postby lewis john on 19 Aug 2012 11:19

Hi mate,
What plants are they? It might have something to do with your water hardness/softness.Also what light do you give them?
And just to make sure,did you take the plants out of the pot/mineral wool before planting them?
Lewis
If it no longer swims,its for the bins!
lewis john
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Meathman on 19 Aug 2012 13:10

Thanks for the reply
http://www.extraplant.com/media/catalog ... ile_10.jpg

Kinda like this 1, sorry I'm using an iPad an the forum isn't iPad friendly, can't upload photos ;)

Ye I think when I tested water before, the water was pretty hard, but I hope that's not the cause, yes I take off the little plastic busket and the wrap around foam stuff, am I right to do that?
Meathman
Fry
Fry

Postby JustinK on 19 Aug 2012 22:44

Where they cuttings ? ( as if cut from another plant)
The picture looks like it would have roots already or a bulb.
What was there when you carefully unwound the foam ?
Are you sure the brown springly bits werent roots ?
Joemc would be able to guide you best on plants.
JustinK
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby davey_c on 19 Aug 2012 23:08

how have you checked for roots? as justin says if you bought your plant as pictured there realy should be some roots there.... i grew these amazon swords before in a 120L without neuts and they thrived, maybe took a little longer for a good root system to develope,

is the brown stuff on the leaf edges or just a random clump on leaves? most likely algae but if you identify which 1 then we can advise a course of action.... the leaves may die back also but new leaves will grow.
below tank is for sale

my tank build
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17405
davey_c
Adult
Adult

Postby Meathman on 20 Aug 2012 19:19

Hi lads

That pic I posted is just from google, I have a pic of the plant and the brown stuff on it, when I'm on the laptop I'll put it on, my phone won't upload any pics, it's just the leaves keep popping out I the gravel cause all they are is just a stick with nothing at all to grab onto, I bought it from new at a proper fish store
Meathman
Fry
Fry

Postby JustinK on 21 Aug 2012 16:28

Sounds like cuttings...
Davey is prob more familiar, but they must grow roots or baby shoots ?
JustinK
Adult
Adult

Postby apistodiscus on 22 Aug 2012 11:27

Echinodorus are not sold as cuttings. You need to remove the plastic cup the plant comes in and also all the glass wool stuff. Wash the roots under running water to remove all traces of it than take a pair of scissors and cut the existing roots to half their size. This will encourage new growth. There are usually several plants in one pot, so separate these.
The brown stuff sounds like brown algae. This is not unusual for a new tank. Syphon off (it comes off easily) and change water regularely. The usual cause is excess silicates and nitrates
You can't fix stupid.
apistodiscus
MFKA Chairman
MFKA Chairman

Postby Meathman on 22 Aug 2012 18:59

apistodiscus wrote:Echinodorus are not sold as cuttings. You need to remove the plastic cup the plant comes in and also all the glass wool stuff. Wash the roots under running water to remove all traces of it than take a pair of scissors and cut the existing roots to half their size. This will encourage new growth. There are usually several plants in one pot, so separate these.
The brown stuff sounds like brown algae. This is not unusual for a new tank. Syphon off (it comes off easily) and change water regularely. The usual cause is excess silicates and nitrates

Great answer, and thanks for all the help lads, i finally go on me laptop to show a pic of the brown stuff, i plant has been out of the bucket since new, i might try snipping the ends and see what happens

cheers
Meathman
Fry
Fry

Postby MrJackDempsey on 22 Aug 2012 19:12

Looks like Java fern ( at least on the phone), are the brown growths roots coming out of the leaves? Java fern can reproduce by growing plantlets ( looks likes small leaves and roots growing out of a big leave , these then become daughter plants which can be replanted .
Haven't lost my mind,just sold it on E-bay
MrJackDempsey
MFKA Treasurer
MFKA Treasurer

Postby JustinK on 22 Aug 2012 19:13

Thats new plants with roots growing from the old leaves.
Leave them to grow on abit before taking them off the motherplant.
sometimes they come away themselves.
JustinK
Adult
Adult

Postby Meathman on 22 Aug 2012 19:50

no feckin way, ive been pullin them off the past few months n throwin them in the bin! but this is the plant thats not rooting, just sticks at the end, does this mean its healthy?
Meathman
Fry
Fry

Postby davey_c on 22 Aug 2012 20:21

do not bury the rhimzone of that plant, their supose to be tied to wood/rock and the roots will develop while attach itself. if the rhimzone (stem the leaves grow from) is burried it'll most likely suffer as a reasult. as the lads say it is a mother plant growing plantlets that can later be removed but the stem will also keep growing, although quite slowly) along whatever it is attached to by putting out more and more primary leaves.
that plant grows easy enough and looks quite well when it fills out :)
below tank is for sale

my tank build
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17405
davey_c
Adult
Adult

Return to Plant Discussion