Looking for bit of info

Jokes,rants,stories,news banter and everything else.

Looking for bit of info

Postby Bruno91 on 12 Mar 2018 23:15

Started the fauna marin balling lite method and was doing water changes every fortnight. Haven't done a water change in 6 weeks now and all parameters are fine but salinity is dropping due to ro auto top off . Just wondering how people keep their salinity at their desired levels when not doing water changes . Any help is appreciated. THANKS
Bruno91
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Looking for bit of info

Postby Halostemanic on 13 Mar 2018 00:55

Hi, i’m just trying to understand the problem. Do you think that Your water is loosing salinity because your not doing water changes? Or do you think your water is loosing salinity because your having to add RO water due to evaporation of tank water.
Neither case is possible mate. Your only having to add RO water because water is evaporating from your tank. Salt level will remain the same for the most part as your only replacing the amount of water that has been lost due to evaporation.
A few reasons for a drop in salinity are
1) A tank leak. (Loosing saltwater through a leak and topping it up with RO)
2) wet skimming.
3) faulty ato! Dumping RO into the tank.
Halostemanic
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Bruno91 on 13 Mar 2018 11:32

Halostemanic wrote:Hi, i’m just trying to understand the problem. Do you think that Your water is loosing salinity because your not doing water changes? Or do you think your water is loosing salinity because your having to add RO water due to evaporation of tank water.
Neither case is possible mate. Your only having to add RO water because water is evaporating from your tank. Salt level will remain the same for the most part as your only replacing the amount of water that has been lost due to evaporation.
A few reasons for a drop in salinity are
1) A tank leak. (Loosing saltwater through a leak and topping it up with RO)
2) wet skimming.
3) faulty ato! Dumping RO into the tank.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I was told to my salinity would be dropping if I stopped doing water changes as my ro top up would be decreasing it. So you have put me at ease that that is utter nonsense and once all the rest of my parameters and trace elements remain ok I should be fine. Appreciate your response.
Thanks again
Bruno91
Fry
Fry

Postby JamieZhu on 11 Apr 2018 14:45

I cant recall the name of an article I saw while back which addressed this issue in home aquarium, it also happened in nature at coral reef, it explains unbalanced salinity due to massive coral growth.
When individual element been consumed by coral its basically convert liquid to solid, when we using only supplements coral will separate them from water if that make sense to you.
JamieZhu
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Bruno91 on 11 Apr 2018 22:37

JamieZhu wrote:I cant recall the name of an article I saw while back which addressed this issue in home aquarium, it also happened in nature at coral reef, it explains unbalanced salinity due to massive coral growth.
When individual element been consumed by coral its basically convert liquid to solid, when we using only supplements coral will separate them from water if that make sense to you.

Yes that makes perfect sense cheers Jamie
Bruno91
Fry
Fry

Return to General News and Chat