Disaster.

Jokes,rants,stories,news banter and everything else.

Disaster.

Postby sparky on 09 Jun 2017 14:58

Hi All,

Well, I've had an.. interesting... few weeks. I woke up on a Sunday morning, went down to stairs and noticed i was almost out of RO. Strange, I only put that in yesterday.. So, opened up the cabinet. There was water al on the bottom of the cabinet. After some investigation I discovered there was a slow dripping of water coming down from the back of the tank. So, I cleaned up the water and did the best I could for the time being. I then called my LFS, who said they would arrange for someone to come over as soon as possible. That wasn't until the next morning. The next morning when the arrived they took one look at it and gave me the news I did not want to hear. There was defiantly a leak (I had been hoping it was maybe condensation, or a drip loop, anything other than a leak) and the entire tank needed to be emptied and repaired\replaced ASAP. Four hours later, all my corals were in a big container, my fish were boxed up, and the tank was empty. :cry: I got to spend the next three evenings repairing the water damage to the wall and re-paining the entire area.

The tank was taken away to be repaired, and the fish were looked after by the LFS, just leaving the corals. Ok, so I thought top myself things are bad, but the could have been a LOT worse if the leak had been bad and dumped 700 liters of salt water on the floor! The next day, I went to work. When I got home, i opened the hall door to be greeted by the stink of Ammonia. Well, this couldn't be good. I walked into the front room to find the water in the temporary tank incredibly cloudy and smelling of Ammonia. Corals starting to loose colour and bleach. After getting the skimmer and reactor running and doing a huge water change, i monitored for the next 48 hours. Unfortunately there was another jump in Ammonia, something was clearly dying and I couldn't figure out what. Added some prime to the water to bind the Ammonia and hoped for the best; the tank was due back the next day.

The tank was re-installed the next day. No leaks, all looking good. After letting the water get up to temp, I decided to see what damage was done, and started the move from the temporary tank back to the main tank. To say I was upset would be an understatement. Every single SPS was completely bleached out and dead, nothing left but skeletons. Almost all of the softies had just dissolved into mush. Out of a full tank of coral I was left with a few zoas, a frogspawn and a trumpet. Every other coral ended up in the bin. :cry:

The rock is now back in the tank and rescaped. The tank has been left to sit for two weeks now and the fish are coming home this weekend. Then I get to start all over again with the coral! :roll: If anyone has any frags they'd like to donate let me know!! :lol:

Although a pretty traumatizing experience, it could have been a whole lot worse.. The tank could have completely went, caused a fire, destroyed the floor and everything else in the room. And I did get to rescape the tank and there were a few scratches on the glass that have been removed. I was also never 100% happy with there the tank was, so i got to move it a few feet up. I do want to say that a huge, huge thank you to all the guys in Seahorse, who helped me out so much with all of this; I'd honestly have been at a loss without their help over the past three weeks.

I'm praying I never have to go through anything like that again; don't think i could handle it and I'd be banned from ever having another tank!

-Brian

This was taken the day before the tank was disassembled.
Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot

6x2x2 Triton Reef Tank
sparky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Disaster.

Postby spons on 09 Jun 2017 15:57

Hope it all goes well well for you now, think of it as a fresh start. There are always frags up for sale on the forum or Adverts.ie .
As for Seahorse Aquariums, on the ball as always...
spons
Adult
Adult

Postby sparky on 09 Jun 2017 16:08

spons wrote:think of it as a fresh start.

That's exactly how I'm thinking of it. It's either that or give up all together! :lol:

spons wrote:As for Seahorse Aquariums, on the ball as always...

Yep, defiantly. Bunch of legends!!

-Brian

6x2x2 Triton Reef Tank
sparky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Mc Paul on 09 Jun 2017 16:47

Sad to here that story.
I think everyone should help you.
I can give you for free
two heads trumpet coral frag, apple berry montipora frag.
Best of luck!
Mc Paul
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby sparky on 09 Jun 2017 17:33

Mc Paul wrote:Sad to here that story.
I think everyone should help you.
I can give you for free
two heads trumpet coral frag, apple berry montipora frag.
Best of luck!

Thanks, I'm staying positive about the whole experience. I was joking about the frags, but I'd obviously appreciate it greatly! :) My trumpet coral managed to survive the ordeal, although I'm still not sure how!

-Brian

6x2x2 Triton Reef Tank
sparky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Dclifford on 10 Jun 2017 18:45

Is there anything you would do differently? if similar was to happen to somebody else, it would be nice to know if there a things you would not do again.
Dclifford
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby sparky on 10 Jun 2017 20:03

Dclifford wrote:Is there anything you would do differently? if similar was to happen to somebody else, it would be nice to know if there a things you would not do again.

Unfortunately due to how quickly it happened there wasn't much else that could have been done. But... had I more tine, I would have been a lot more careful setting up the temp tank. I'd have hooked it up to the sump, and ran everything as its run on the tank. Or I'd have tried to get all the corals into another established system.

6x2x2 Triton Reef Tank
sparky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby sparky on 12 Jun 2017 11:54

Hi All,

Well, all the fish are now back in the system. All seem to be happy to be back again! Still a lot of algea in the tank, its like a new tank all over again! :lol:

sparky wrote:Unfortunately due to how quickly it happened there wasn't much else that could have been done. But... had I more tine, I would have been a lot more careful setting up the temp tank. I'd have hooked it up to the sump, and ran everything as its run on the tank. Or I'd have tried to get all the corals into another established system.

Thought about this over the weekend, lol. What was done was pretty much everything that could be done, All the fish were moved to an established system, the tank was emptied very quickly, the temporary system the corals and live rock were moved to was filled with water from the system . The only exception is that If this happened to anyone else, I'd say that any "delicate" corals would need to be moved to another established tank. Or, set up two temporary tanks, one for softies and one for SPS\LPS, as the softies reacted badly to being moved so quickly (in particular my large toadstool) and released a lot of crap into a tank that couldn't handle the load. Also, if something happened in one of the tanks, it wouldn't result in a total loss of corals. Divide and conquer and all that...

As I said, the guys in seahorse really did do phenomenal work, the time from discovering the leak to getting the tank back into the house, re-filled and running was less than 5 days, which is bloody impressive by anyone's standards!!

-Brian

6x2x2 Triton Reef Tank
sparky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby andrewo on 14 Jun 2017 18:29

Very sad to hear this. I can only imagine the agony...Thanks for sharing the experience and if you are ever in this neck of the woods bring some bags with you.
-Frontosa Fan
-My previous marine setup
http://irishfishforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20966
- Latest reef tank
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=26918
andrewo
Adult
Adult

Postby sparky on 14 Jun 2017 21:26

andrewo wrote:Very sad to hear this. I can only imagine the agony...Thanks for sharing the experience and if you are ever in this neck of the woods bring some bags with you.

lol, i will indeed, thanks! Yea, there were quite a few head in hands moments, but its over now. At this stage, I'm kind of looking forward to re-stocking the tank, doing a lot more SPS than I had before. onward and upwards, as they say.

-Brian

6x2x2 Triton Reef Tank
sparky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Corky on 15 Jun 2017 10:19

Sorry to hear this, first off, well done for not giving up. When the tank is settled again pm and I'll sort you out with some frags
Corky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby sparky on 15 Jun 2017 12:32

Corky wrote:Sorry to hear this, first off, well done for not giving up.

I was bloody close to telling them to just keep the tank and not bother taking it back! And getting all the new tank syndrome stages over the last few weeks hasn't been easy either! I'm planning to get some more snails etc in this weekend, as the fish have all been in over a week and no issues at all.

Corky wrote:When the tank is settled again pm and I'll sort you out with some frags

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I'm amazed and appreciate the generosity of everyone on here. The kind words offered, advice, offers of help. Your all a great bunch! :lol:

-Brian

6x2x2 Triton Reef Tank
sparky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby sparky on 21 Jun 2017 13:30

Well, the tank is back in and up and running a few weeks now. Stand has been finished off, and the fish are back in the tank a little over a week. On the bright side, I got to re scape the tanks and I'm a lot happier with how it looks. I've also installed all the power and control units in a much cleaner way. Looking at the up sides to this whole situation still! :lol:

Now I just need to get the algae in the refugium going again and start getting more corals back into the tank. A big thank you to McPaul for the frags.

Here are a few images of the tank now that its all back and running.

-Brian

6x2x2 Triton Reef Tank
sparky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Mc Paul on 21 Jun 2017 17:08

Good job, tank is looking amazing!

PS.
Now problem.
You are welcome!
Mc Paul
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby liam on 22 Jun 2017 10:42

Like a phoenix from the ashes! :) Every cloud and all that...

Where did you get the little shelves on your sump doors? They're a great idea, really neat.

--Liam.
liam
Juvenile
Juvenile

Next

Return to General News and Chat