Tank choices

Special section for newcomers to the world of Marine. There are no stupid questions.

Tank choices

Postby djlittle on 08 Oct 2018 22:15

Hi guys, I'm new here so please forgive me if I ask any stupid questions lol, anyhow I've been keeping freshwater fish for over 10 years and done most things from simple setup to fully planted co2 tanks. I've just moved house and I have the perfect spot for a new tank.

I've decided to take the plunge and try marine fish. Think it will be a fowlr tank and intend to add some soft corals. I know this will be a long term project but I think I can make it work. I will be converting my old 4ft tank into a sump too.

Anyhow I've been pricing up custom tanks by a supplier in Dublin, not sure if I can mention names so I'll not ATM. They were really helpfully and given me the following prices:

1980x610x810 high, optiwhite front and ext weir using 19mm glass - €2540

1980x610x700 high, optiwhite front and ext weir using 15mm glass - €1770

1980x610x610 height, optiwhite front and ext weir using 12mm glass - €1070

I know I can get the most expensive tank for half the price from the mainland uk as they use 12mm glass but I would be worried if it came scratched it would end up more of a headache as the cost of shipping is about €300. At least I can see the tank in Dublin and make sure it's perfect before I collect it. The guys in the shop said that these are the max heights for each thickness of glass they have to use for insurance purposes and the vast difference in price is in the thickness of the glass.

Now my delima, the 810 high tank is out as i can't justify the price. So should I buy the second tank and then all the equipment or would I be safer buying the third tank and the €700 saving would be a good start in getting the equipment I need, is 90mm in height really gonna make that much difference?

Logically I think going with the third tank is best but I don't wanna regret it down the line
djlittle
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Tank choices

Postby sparky on 10 Oct 2018 12:05

Hey,

Welcome! No such ting as a stupid question, we all had to learn and were all new at some stage. I'm going to assume its Seahorse that are building the tank for you :lol:

I have a marine tank from them that's 1980x610x610 with a weir and have no issues with it, plenty of room in the tank and everything grows quite well... If I was replacing the tank, I would consider increasing the depth to about 915 (3ft) and keeping the same height. You need to be aware that if you go with the deeper tank, you'll need better lighting for corals etc down the road. In my experience and opinion, 610 should be deep enough for most marine tanks.

On converting your 4ft tank to a sump, be sure to decide what method your going to use on the tank (triton, red sea, etc) before installing the baffles, as different methods can require different layouts in the sump.

On buying form the UK... Be warned that if you go with 12mm glass and a tank higher than 610, there is a risk of the glass breaking from the pressure of all the water, which is why as you go higher, they are increasing the thickness of the glass (and the price, unfortunately!). Also, if you have any issue with the tank, it would be difficult to get the supplier to help.

Hope that helps you make a decision!

-Brian
Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot

6x2x2 Triton Reef Tank
sparky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Halostemanic on 10 Oct 2018 15:57

Welcome to the forum and the salty side. Your experience in freshwater will stand to you.

Boy you were going big for your first dip in the ocean! Can’t ageee more with what Brian said about tank depth. In addition to needing superior lighting you won’t be able to access the bottom of the tank safely if needed.

I also agree that you should decide on what method to run your tank with before you build your sump. Having said that I do think if you’re ever going to do corals that you need to calculate the running costs of the tank that size. Very often the bigger the tank the better for corals and fish however the bigger the tank the bigger the expense for running it from salt to reagents to major and minor elements. Even a 20 percent water change could be pricey.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And keep us posted on it thank field. It’s been awhile since we had one on here

Stephen
Halostemanic
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby djlittle on 10 Oct 2018 23:13

Thanks guys for the welcome, I'll probably be reading every thread on here for the next while :D

sparky wrote:
I have a marine tank from them that's 1980x610x610 with a weir and have no issues with it, plenty of room in the tank and everything grows quite well... If I was replacing the tank, I would consider increasing the depth to about 915 (3ft) and keeping the same height. You need to be aware that if you go with the deeper tank, you'll need better lighting for corals etc down the road. In my experience and opinion, 610 should be deep enough for most marine tanks.

On converting your 4ft tank to a sump, be sure to decide what method your going to use on the tank (triton, red sea, etc) before installing the baffles, as different methods can require different layouts in the sump.

On buying form the UK... Be warned that if you go with 12mm glass and a tank higher than 610, there is a risk of the glass breaking from the pressure of all the water, which is why as you go higher, they are increasing the thickness of the glass (and the price, unfortunately!). Also, if you have any issue with the tank, it would be difficult to get the supplier to help.

Hope that helps you make a decision!

-Brian

Your right Brian it was Seahorse that I was down at, really nice guys there and there customer service seems excellent and that means so much these days, and their display tank to me was amazing.

I agree about the uk that if I had any problems I would struggle to get any help so I don't mind paying a bit more.

I would love to do deeper but my tank will be going beside my chimney breast and wall, it's only 470 deep so I think if I go any deeper than 610 it will stick out too much if that makes sense but I'm tempted to maybe go 700 deep.

I really need to research the sump layouts more but I'm gonna see what Seahorse recommends.

Halostemanic wrote:Boy you were going big for your first dip in the ocean! Can’t ageee more with what Brian said about tank depth. In addition to needing superior lighting you won’t be able to access the bottom of the tank safely if needed.

I also agree that you should decide on what method to run your tank with before you build your sump. Having said that I do think if you’re ever going to do corals that you need to calculate the running costs of the tank that size. Very often the bigger the tank the better for corals and fish however the bigger the tank the bigger the expense for running it from salt to reagents to major and minor elements. Even a 20 percent water change could be pricey.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And keep us posted on it thank field. It’s been awhile since we had one on here

Stephen

I always wanted a big tank Stephen and this fits nicely where I've planned for it but I was originally gonna go for a cichlid tank but after speaking to the guys are Seahorse and seeing their display tank I decided to give it a try as I always wanted to try a marine setup but thought it was gonna be too hard but as tech has moved on it seems as long as I keep to a regime and have patients I should be ok. Also being this big hopefully means that any changes will be more slow so I have time to react to prevent any issues

I know the costs will be more but if I plan it right and try to future proof my stuff like lights etc and buy a rodi unit the daily running costs should be more than manageable. It will definitely be the start of next year before I even think about adding any livestock
djlittle
Fry
Fry

Postby fishowner on 14 Oct 2018 09:21

The optiwhite is probably adding abit to the cost,have you considered without optiwhite.Im not sure its worth it.In terms of them building tanks your in good hands.
fishowner
Adult
Adult

Postby Corky on 17 Oct 2018 02:37

The third tank is plenty big. Did you price up a sump there also? Might save a lot of headache in the long run. Best of luck with it.
Corky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Beginners