Brown marks on dead fish

Special section for newcomers to the world of Marine. There are no stupid questions.

Brown marks on dead fish

Postby Nobby on 10 Oct 2016 21:49

Hi all hoping someone can divulge a bit of help here. Bought three fish two weeks ago a yellow tang a raccoon Butterfly and a lavender tang. The raccoon didn't eat after going in and 5 days later I came home to find the yellow tang and raccoon dead. One week later Ich broke out in the tank and I have been dosing polyps medic for the last 6 days however last night there was no visible signs of improvement in a regal in the tang already in the tank a good few months, so decided to try freshwater dip him went in with the net and couldn't catch him and rather than stress the tank more by moving rock injust left it.

Today however the lavender tang died and at first I thought it was down to stress of me trying to catch the regal but only after I noticed that both the yellow tang and the lavender had strange brown marks on them when I took them out. Could there be anything else in the tank that is causing the fish to be sick and Ich is just an after disease due to them being sick.

Yellow tang has it on his nose and the lavender has it on his back

250ltr Marine Tank. Set up March 2016.
Nobby
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Brown marks on dead fish

Postby SullyD on 11 Oct 2016 09:11

So sorry to see your fish dying, it can be very disheartening when something like this happens. The marks are probably from the fish scratching to get the ich off them, they itch and scratch a lot if ich is in the system. unfortunately fresh water dips are too late at this stage, once ich is present in the tank the only cure is leaving the tank running but fish less for 8 weeks, nothing else will cure it. You need to let the ich parasite go through its life cycle without any host to attach to and reproduce again. This is why a QT tank is vital, its a bit of hassle to be fair but stops sickness entering your closed system. hope this helps some bit
SullyD
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Beginners