Interpet river reef 95L: my first marine tank

Special section for newcomers to the world of Marine. There are no stupid questions.

Interpet river reef 95L: my first marine tank

Postby phea2 on 21 Feb 2013 18:29

After giving it some thought, i finally decided to purchase my first marine/reef tank. As it's my first marine, i'm planning on taking my time with setting it up. I'm going to upgrade few of the equipment to begin with. I'll remove all the equipment in the filtration chamber except for the heater.

Below are the equipment i'm planning of buying in the next few weeks:
2x Eheim Compact 1000 or 2 Maxijet 1200 pumps
koralia 900l/hr
carbon and filter floss and rowaphos
Refractometer
water test
live sand 10lbs
10kg of live rocks

Concerning the filter chamber, here is what i'm planning on having in the 4 chambers:
1 heater
2 carbon, floss, rowaphos, floss, purigen
3 cheatos underwater lights, corals skimmer in the future
4 return pump

Cleaning crew: (blue, red, and mexican) 10 hermit crabs, 3 sexy shrimps, 1 Nassarius Snail, 8 Turbo Snail, fire shrimp, 4 Spiny Shell Snail, 1 Sand sifiting Star
Fish list: percula clown, Yellow-Bellied Damsel, Red Scooter Dragonet, Yellow Goby, and Purple Firefish
Corals: mushrooms, polyps, 1 hammer coral, 1 torch coral, ricordia and zoanthid

As i'm a marine beginner, any advice would be really appreciated.
phea2
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Interpet river reef 95L: my first marine tank

Postby Ricky on 21 Feb 2013 18:46

Great to see a nano marine :) I am setting another marine up myself and really thinking about going for nano this time. My only advise to a very well thought out project is that damsels in general are a nightmare for aggression. I have learned this first hand and seen many others with the same issues. In a smaller tank the fight for dominance is alot more serious as in general the floor space has been restriced meaning that the damsel has a much larger space per square litre than in a bigger. You will be running a risk with stress and potential death with your other, much more placid tankmates. Marine oodinium can be very common and very hard to treat in a reef tank, just be very carefull. Very best of luck with it, the results are amazing.
Ricky
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby phea2 on 21 Feb 2013 18:51

Thanks. i'll put another percula clown fish instead of the damsel then. I've just filled up with tank with tap water to check for leakage.

I'm going to buy the equipments first: pump, filter media, wavemaker, water test and refractometer first (hopefully next week).
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby Ricky on 21 Feb 2013 19:01

Hopefully they will pair up quickly for you too. It's amazing to see
Ricky
Fry
Fry

Postby jaytoon on 21 Feb 2013 19:56

dont put any Damsels in

they are the most aggresive fish and probably more aggressive in nano tank
jaytoon
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby phea2 on 21 Feb 2013 20:07

how about a flame angel or an african pygmy angel?
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby jaytoon on 21 Feb 2013 20:11

do some research on them,
nice fish but they might need bigger tank
i havent kept either
jaytoon
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Essox on 21 Feb 2013 22:33

is that salt water already in your tank? are you trying to start your tanks cycle ?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
[color#FF0000]Essox real name graham http://irishfishforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20676
http://irishfishforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14964[/color]
Essox
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby phea2 on 21 Feb 2013 22:57

no, its just tap water to test it the tank is water tight
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby BlueRam on 22 Feb 2013 00:37

Ricky wrote:Great to see a nano marine :) I am setting another marine up myself and really thinking about going for nano this time. My only advise to a very well thought out project is that damsels in general are a nightmare for aggression. I have learned this first hand and seen many others with the same issues. In a smaller tank the fight for dominance is alot more serious as in general the floor space has been restriced meaning that the damsel has a much larger space per square litre than in a bigger. You will be running a risk with stress and potential death with your other, much more placid tankmates. Marine oodinium can be very common and very hard to treat in a reef tank, just be very carefull. Very best of luck with it, the results are amazing.

Even in my tank 7x2x2 i have 3 of them and they are a might mare anything i do to do something in the tank they are over biting me and bullying my other fish even my 6inch+ naso ha

Even i catch them they are going down the jacks but im sure i never will catch them so will have to just get something in there to eat them lol

Sean
7x2x2 White Clearseal Mixed Reef
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17921

BlueRam
Adult
Adult

Postby kitchlid on 26 Feb 2013 01:09

hi buddy i got the exact same tank as you but ive heavily modded it haha heres a little log of the progress shes made. get rid of all the sponges and ceramic blocks. theyre only nitrate traps in the long run.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16824

in regards to the filter chamber i the 2 and 3rd chamber into each other and filled it with large porous live rock rubble, nothing too fine and clumped together as you dont wanna trap to much detritus casing nitrates. i also put some feather chaeto in and run it under a small white led spotlight 24/4. peel the backing of the glass too as it will let more light in

in chamber one i hooked up the pump to feed my hang on the back tmc v2 400 skimmer, try to go with a larger skimmer for the tank size as it will do a very efficient job especially if you are tempted to ever so slightly over stock the tank like myself and wanna keep the nitrates down.

the two return pumps were upgraded to 900 maxijets and theres a tunze 6025 in the tank for added circulation which takes care of the area behind the liverock. i also have a filter sock and the skimmer return here. the sock help remove all the micro bubbles from the skimmer.

theres also a bit of carbon in the first chamber by the intakes to ensure they get water movement, try not to overdose as carbon removes trace elements as well as nastys.

i gutted the hood and put 3 aqauray 600d strips and a 36w pc in for lighting, plan on removing the pc and getting another aqauray strip

thats just how i run my filtration and lighting, not saying its the best way but it seems to keep mixed reef alive.

livestock wise i have a few sps, lps and softies, in such a small tank if you intend on packing it out with stony corals like torches and hammers, make sure you use a good salt mix with trace elements as they will depleat them in know time. stick with softies to start as they are so much less work!

ive found 4 fish is kinda the max you can get away with while keeping the nitrates below 10ppm. stick with clowns, grammas, blennies, gobies, maybe small angels if you feelings a bit flash. research the fish, things like scooter blennies are challenging, things like six line wrasses and damsels can be evil sadistic things!

just take your time, good things never happen fast in a reef tank but bad things happen all to fast!
160L mixed Reef
kitchlid
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby phea2 on 26 Feb 2013 01:30

kitchlid wrote:the two return pumps were upgraded to 900 maxijets and theres a tunze 6025 in the tank for added circulation which takes care of the area behind the liverock. i also have a filter sock and the skimmer return here. the sock help remove all the micro bubbles from the skimmer.

Is 2800l/hr not too much flow?

kitchlid wrote:livestock wise i have a few sps, lps and softies, in such a small tank if you intend on packing it out with stony corals like torches and hammers, make sure you use a good salt mix with trace elements as they will depleat them in know time. stick with softies to start as they are so much less work!

What brand would you recommend as best salt mix with trace elements?

I've learn through freshwater experience that patience is the way to success, thus why i've decided to go slow with the marine tank. Plus i'm not really interested into sps and lps (for the moment at least). if the bug gets me then i'll go for a bigger tank or even shutting down my 280 freshwater aquarium. but that will be in a year or so.
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby kitchlid on 26 Feb 2013 02:26

it is a lot of flow but the way i have them angled and the way the rock work is means its quite well distributed and reflected. nothing apart from my small sps frags get too much direct flow. i have one pointed at the surface which agitates the surface water for better gas exchange always good practice.

personally i use kent reef salt, at 1.026 the levels of some elements are strangely high but in saying that my corals have thrived. it also mixes clear which is great for quick water changes when needs be. i know gary in fish antics swears by reef crystals.

to be honest with softies they wont be taking too much out of the water anyway theyl get most of their needs satisfied by a lil bit of feeding here or there (species applicable) and adequate lighting which the stock lights are. the fans did my head in though! so noisy!

also if you plan on ugradeing the tank in the future theres no harm in getting the equipments that will do the job when the time comes. better to pay a little extra for quality than for it to be replaced and going one size up on the likes of a skimmer has worked well for me.
160L mixed Reef
kitchlid
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby phea2 on 26 Feb 2013 02:33

I'll have to investigate where i can get the kent reef salt or the reef crystal. My usual fish shop only stock the D-D H2O Ocean Pro, Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and Red Sea Salt.
phea2
Adult
Adult

Postby kitchlid on 26 Feb 2013 13:13

phea2 wrote:I'll have to investigate where i can get the kent reef salt or the reef crystal. My usual fish shop only stock the D-D H2O Ocean Pro, Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and Red Sea Salt.

Google a few reviews on the brands you mentioned
, pretty sure theyl do the job no questions
160L mixed Reef
kitchlid
Juvenile
Juvenile

Next

Return to Beginners