Auto top-up System

Filters,heaters ,etc and all construction tips

Auto top-up System

Postby txtmess on 02 May 2017 11:56

One of my smaller freshwater tanks is (Aquanano40) is losing a lot of water trough evaporation from the sump mainly as I have a mangrove growing in the sump and so I need to put in a top off just to maintain water levels.

Given the tank is in the sitting room I don't want a large reservoir so it'll be something small container underneath in the sump press but I don't want to go with an auto top-up device. The main reason is the reservoir will be quite small and I have visions of it running dry and burning out the top up motor.

Does anyone have an auto top - up that runs on a gravity feed with some clever plumbing?, trying to get an idea of what others have done before I start going mad with tubing in the bath to work out a solution ?
txtmess
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Auto top-up System

Postby sparky on 02 May 2017 13:57

you can get ato units that will stop pumping when the water runs out - I have one I bought from fish street, does the job, and if the reservoir runs out of water it gives me an alarm.

alternatively, there are loads of gravity fed auto top off ideas out there. My only concern with a gravity fed system is that if the control mechanism fails, your reservoir could be dumped into the tank all at once.

-Brian
Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot

6x2x2 Triton Reef Tank
sparky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby txtmess on 02 May 2017 14:14

I've been google-ing to see what's there on the gravity fed and your right there seems to be mixed opinion on them that's why I was hoping there was some personal experience on here.

As for the ato's with cut-offs I am not in a rush to go down that path yet I have my heart set on a non electric option may change in the future but hats were my whims take me for the moment.
txtmess
Fry
Fry

Postby Dclifford on 02 May 2017 14:41

There is a gravity fed one on the red sea reefer. you might find some details on it in the instructions online.
I dont use the one on mine because i have always used tunze ozomolator. the reservoir i use sits in a footstool/pouffe so it is out of sight.
Dclifford
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby J.late on 02 May 2017 16:17

If you do buy a off the shelf top up kit, look out for the pump height of the pump. Many are made to just pump water into a sump with the topup on the same level.

I have the same tank as you and I broughta aquaone aquafill, only to find out that, to have a top up container in the cabinet, it won't pump the water high enough to pump it to the rim height of the tank.

So at the moment I am upgrading the pump to a dc one. But because the pump works on ac power I am making up a converter to change it from ad to dc power. I don't know f it will work yet, but it's worth a try.

Will let you know when I have all the bits!!
J.late
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby txtmess on 15 May 2017 09:58

Thanks guys been doing a bit more looking at it still want to try and go electric free so will see if I can mimic the red sea model but you are right about the point about pump height I had never even considered it so it's an interesting one to pick up.
txtmess
Fry
Fry

Return to Equipment and D.I.Y