Aquarium Screen Top Kits

Filters,heaters ,etc and all construction tips

Aquarium Screen Top Kits

Postby rortman on 15 Oct 2016 14:53

So been having a HUGE problem trying to find these kits for sale in Ireland. Used to be able to find them at any hardware shop in the states. Anyone know where I might be able to locate these?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquar ... tting.html
rortman
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Aquarium Screen Top Kits

Postby darmac on 15 Oct 2016 16:47

Seahorse aquariums do them.
darmac
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Corky on 16 Oct 2016 10:06

These are great, I bought one of these for an old tank from uk, seahorse can order them in Alright. Tried to do a diy job myself but had problems sourcing the netting and just gave up. Quite expensive for the larger tanks. It will probably just have to bite the bullet
Corky
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby rortman on 16 Oct 2016 20:23

Ya I saw that seahorse does them and the price is pretty insane... I know they get them shipped in but just was hoping to make it a DIY job.

Thanks...
rortman
Fry
Fry

Postby Dclifford on 17 Oct 2016 10:08

I was thinking about having a go at a DIY version of artfully acrylic cover. The idea is to use a sheet of lexan polycarbonate and a router. Probably need a lot of practice to get it looking right.
I cant really see from the pictures on the internet how they hold the netting, so i would have to figure that out first.
Dclifford
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby rortman on 17 Oct 2016 15:06

Dclifford wrote:I was thinking about having a go at a DIY version of artfully acrylic cover. The idea is to use a sheet of lexan polycarbonate and a router. Probably need a lot of practice to get it looking right.
I cant really see from the pictures on the internet how they hold the netting, so i would have to figure that out first.

I have seen those and have a few friends back home who have them. I messaged and ask them if they can show a clearer picture of them and I can forward on to you. But they are beautiful!
rortman
Fry
Fry

Postby darwin on 17 Oct 2016 16:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrvI0fkCloM heres a video done by BRS,theres a stack of others on utube too.
darwin
Adult
Adult

Postby rortman on 17 Oct 2016 18:50

darwin wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrvI0fkCloM heres a video done by BRS,theres a stack of others on utube too.

DClifford was talking about the Acrylic Tops and how they are made. I have made a ton of the mesh net tops just finding it difficult to locate the supplies in Ireland!!
rortman
Fry
Fry

Postby sincgar on 17 Oct 2016 21:39

Rortman, if you could make them you could have a captive audience including me

Those artfully ones are nice but pricey

If not mesh cause ofprice what could be used instead of glass. Acrylic or polycarbonate

On the mesh some uk sites, auction and dealers also do the diy ones and with sterling so low it could be worth it
sincgar
Adult
Adult

Postby rortman on 18 Oct 2016 11:43

sincgar wrote:Rortman, if you could make them you could have a captive audience including me

Those artfully ones are nice but pricey

If not mesh cause ofprice what could be used instead of glass. Acrylic or polycarbonate

On the mesh some uk sites, auction and dealers also do the diy ones and with sterling so low it could be worth it

See I have worked with Acrylic back in the states a good amount but had a full workshop to do it, especially to customize the edges as that is the nice details you get with acrylic. I did try to find an acrylic fabricator in Ireland/Dublin but have not been able to find any including trying to go through Seahorse.

I would gladly be able to customize aquarium lids for plenty of people out here if they wanted but it would have to be the DIY type with the aluminum frame but I do have plenty of clear mesh and finally found a local distributor for the spline that pushes the mesh into the frame.

I will look into it and see if there is interest for a group buy maybe? I can then try to custom make the lids for people if they would like?
rortman
Fry
Fry

Postby rortman on 18 Oct 2016 11:50

Dclifford wrote:I was thinking about having a go at a DIY version of artfully acrylic cover. The idea is to use a sheet of lexan polycarbonate and a router. Probably need a lot of practice to get it looking right.

You might be able to see better here how they make the lids. Looks like it is machine constructed acrylic and either laser or high pressure water etched the small insert that they put the mesh on and still use rubber twine to keep the mesh in. These pics show it better here: https://reefbuilders.com/2016/04/11/cle ... y-acrylic/

Would need a pretty big set up to crank out these kind of lids as well as the gel/acrylic corners they use.
rortman
Fry
Fry

Postby andrewo on 18 Oct 2016 20:30

Tagging along very interested. Heard some say acrylic might not withstand strong intense lighting?
-Frontosa Fan
-My previous marine setup
http://irishfishforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20966
- Latest reef tank
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=26918
andrewo
Adult
Adult

Postby Dclifford on 19 Oct 2016 06:42

rortman wrote:
Dclifford wrote:You might be able to see better here how they make the lids. Looks like it is machine constructed acrylic and either laser or high pressure water etched the small insert that they put the mesh on and still use rubber twine to keep the mesh in. These pics show it better here: https://reefbuilders.com/2016/04/11/cle ... y-acrylic/
Would need a pretty big set up to crank out these kind of lids as well as the gel/acrylic corners they use.

I had seen those pictures, they give a good view. I will have to check out rubber twine. Would gluing the mesh in place work? Or does the mesh need to be replaced at a frequency?
Dclifford
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby rortman on 19 Oct 2016 10:49

andrewo wrote:Tagging along very interested. Heard some say acrylic might not withstand strong intense lighting?

Ya I have heard the same thing and see it especially on covers that are entirely acrylic. Supposedly the artfully acrylic lids are made from polycarbonate which can withstand just about anything so don't expect light to do anything to them.
rortman
Fry
Fry

Postby rortman on 19 Oct 2016 10:51

Dclifford wrote:
rortman wrote:
Dclifford wrote:You might be able to see better here how they make the lids. Looks like it is machine constructed acrylic and either laser or high pressure water etched the small insert that they put the mesh on and still use rubber twine to keep the mesh in. These pics show it better here: https://reefbuilders.com/2016/04/11/cle ... y-acrylic/

I had seen those pictures, they give a good view. I will have to check out rubber twine. Would gluing the mesh in place work? Or does the mesh need to be replaced at a frequency?

I have found a few places that will do just rubber twine if you need, send me a PM. As far as being glued in place no I don't think the mesh needs to be replaced at any frequency but if there is a tare or rip I would expect that to be the problem. I had the simple aluminum method for 2 years on a few tanks at home and have had them break but I guess there always is the issue if you ever want to replace them and they are glued in place?
rortman
Fry
Fry

Next

Return to Equipment and D.I.Y